Call Us Today! 01274-911922

Service Provider to the Construction Industry for Handover and Asset Information

Services 2018-03-20T16:08:41+00:00

Building Manuals / O&M’s & Log Books

Building Manuals (or Operation & Maintenance Manuals) are produced to help the End User Operate, Maintain and if required Decommission and Dismantle the Building. They are a Contractual requirement and are sometimes stipulated within Clause A37 of the Employers Requirements.

It can be frustrating for contractors to find time to produce the documents for each project, causing delays in project handover. With our experienced and professional team at MBOSS, we can make our clients lives’ easier, we will identify, chase, produce and deliver all construction information required for the O&M manuals.

The Manuals can be produced to the Clients Template, to BSRIA BG 26/2011 or to our own but will usually consist of

  • Building Specification
  • M&E Specification
  • Manufacturers Literature and Sub-Contractor Information
  • Operation
  • Maintenance
  • As-Built Drawings
  • Test Certificates
  • Guarantees & Warranties

CIBSE TM31 Building Log Book introduced the concept of a Log Book to provide information that improves energy management within buildings. BSRIA BG 26/2011 incorporates the main features of the Log Book and produces a Building Manual and a Building User Guide to meet the requirements of the regulations

Asset Registers

To help assist in the Planned Preventative Maintenance (PPM) of the Building, we can produce an Asset Register tailored to the End Users Computer Aided Facilities Management (CAFM) System or from our own template.

An Asset register provides a Unique Identifier to every element in the building detailing its Location, Make, Model, Installation Date, Sub-Contractor / Supplier used and location details within the O&M Manuals and As-Built Drawings. This Unique Identifier can then be applied directly to the specific item.

The CAFM system will then help schedule routine maintenance & warranty expiration dates from the commencement of occupation.

Building Regulations

What are Building Regulations?

Building Regulations are a set of minimum standards for design, construction and alterations to works on New and Refurbished Buildings. The Government have issued Practical Guidance documents split into Technical Parts known as Approved Documents to support the Regulations.

Part A Structure Sept 2013
Part B Fire Safety Jan 2013
Part C Site Preparation and Resistance to Contaminates and Moisture Sept 2013
Part D Toxic Substances Oct 2015
Part E Resistance to the Passage of Sound Oct 2015
Part F Ventilation Oct 2015
Part G Sanitation, Hot Water Safety and Water Efficiency Mar 2016
Part H Drainage and Waste Disposal Mar 2015
Part J Combustion Appliances Oct 2015
Part K Protection from Falling, Collision and Impact Jan 2013
Part L Conservation of Fuel and Power Apr 2016
Part M Access to and Use of Buildings Mar 2016
Part P Electrical Safety Jan 2013
Part Q Security Mar 2015
Part R Physical Infrastructure for High Speed Electronic Comm Networks Apr 2016


Will my Building be Exempt from Building Regulations?

Certain Buildings have been provided with dispensation from some or all of the Building Regulations depending on the nature of the building / work.

Class of Work A-K, M & Q L * P
Class 1 – Controlled by other Legislation
i.e. Nuclear, Explosives or Ancient Monuments
Exempt May Apply Exempt
Class 2 – Buildings Not Frequented by People
i.e. Substations, Plant Rooms
Exempt May Apply Exempt
Class 3 – Greenhouses Exempt May Apply Not Exempt
Class 3 – Agricultural Buildings Exempt May Apply Exempt
Class 4 – Temporary Buildings
A building which is not intended to remain where it is erected for more than 28 days.
Exempt May Apply Exempt
Class 5 – Ancillary Buildings
i.e. Site Buildings intended for use only during the course of the works
Exempt May Apply Exempt
Class 6 – Small Detached Buildings
A detached single storey building, having a floor area which does not exceed 30m2
Exempt May Apply Not Exempt
Class 7 – Extensions Exempt Exempt Not Exempt

* Part L requirements do not apply to buildings which fall into the following categories:

  • Certain buildings which are listed, in conservation areas or are included in the schedule of monuments – where compliance with the energy efficiency requirements would unacceptably alter their character or appearance.
  • Buildings which are used primarily or solely as places of worship
  • Temporary buildings with a planned time of use of 2 years or less, with low energy demand
  • Industrial sites, workshops and non-residential agricultural buildings with low energy demand
  • Stand-alone buildings other than dwellings with a total useful floor area of less than 50m²


What is an SBEM and when is one needed?

When a building requires Building Regulation approval, an SBEM is most likely required to prove & demonstrate compliance with Part L.

An SBEM (or Simplified Building Energy Model) is a tool used to determine CO2 emission rates for new buildings in compliance with Part L of the Building Regulations. It essentially calculates how much energy is required to run the Proposed Building and equates that to a calculation based upon a Notional model.

Energy use can be from

  • Heating loss through Windows (Window Thermal Values)
  • Heating gain from the sun through Windows (Geographic Location and Orientation of Building)
  • Insulation Values
  • Lighting
  • Space Heating
  • Heating of Water for Tap and Radiators
  • Storage of Hot Water

Modular Building Exemptions

Modular Buildings do have an advantage in the SBEM calculation though as the Target Rate for the Proposed Building to achieve against the Notional Building increases at the following scale

Date of manufacture of 70% of modules Multiplying Factor
After 6 April 2014 1.00%
1 Oct 2010 – 5 April 2014 1.10%
6 April 2006 – 30 Sept 2010 1.47%
1 April 2002 – 5 April 2006 1.93%
Pre-1 April 2002 1.93% or 2.59% if less than 2 years


When are EPCs required?

An EPC (Energy Performance Certificate) is required when a building is constructed, sold or rented out:

  • for buildings that are non-dwellings this requirement started for those buildings with a total useful floor area greater than 10,000m2
  • for buildings that are non-dwellings with a total useful floor area greater than 2,500m2
  • for all remaining buildings that are non-dwellings, save for a few exempted buildings

EPCs for the sale or renting out of buildings that are non-dwellings will be valid for 10 years or until a newer EPC is produced for building, if earlier.

It is a requirement for all non-dwellings over 500m2 frequently visited by the public to display a valid EPC in a prominent place clearly visible to members of the public.

Situations where an EPC is not required

The duties relating to EPCs do not apply to:

  • buildings used as places of worship and for religious activities
  • temporary buildings with a planned time of use of two years or less, industrial sites, workshops and residential agricultural buildings with low energy demand and residential agricultural buildings which are in use by a sector covered by a national sectoral agreement on energy performance
  • stand-alone buildings with a total useful floor area of less than 50m2